I want to report a problem/malfunction, how can I do that?

If a resident app such as Area of People, Space Flow or LIVVIN is used in your residential complex, report your repair request or malfunction via this resident app. In all other cases you can report your malfunction online via this link. If you have a malfunction in the evening or the weekend that cannot wait until the next working day and you do not use a resident app, call 088-5330001.